Panorama and Oversized Photographs
Panorama photographs depicting large scenic vistas, cities, and assemblies of people were not uncommon in the first part of the 20th century. While these are impressive to view and study, they are are also a challenge to preserve and to make available for research. Existing panoramas and oversized photographs are often in large, unwieldy frames or wrapped into a tight roll; these historic photos are easily damaged in handling and storage. The digital age makes it possible for anyone to create a panoramic photograph today with a digital camera. But technology also allows us to digitize old photographs (which might be deteriorating). Now NAHA patrons can easily and safely study these fascinating photographs of Norwegian-American events and people in detail.
The Bygdelag movement developed in the early 20th century as first and second generations of Norwegian immigrants from the same geographic area in Norway gathered at a stevne. Besides providing a means of retaining regional language and culture, the meetings filled a social need, connecting attendees with kinfolk and friends from their home area in Norway now living disbursed in other areas in America.
- Gudbrandsdal, 1913, Glenwood, Minnesota
- Gudbrandsdal, 1916, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
- Gudbrandsdal, 1920, Fergus Falls, Minnesota
- Gudbrandsdal, 1924, La Crosse, Wisconsin
- Gudbrandsdal, 1926, Fargo, North Dakota
- Gudbrandsdal, 1931, Fargo, North Dakota
- Gudbrandsdal, 1937, Fergus Falls, Minnesota
- Gudbrandsdal, 1948, Alexandria, Minnesota
- Hadeland, 1924, Northwood, North Dakota
- Hardanger, 1913, Lee, Illinois
- Hardanger, 1920, Garretson, South Dakota
- Imslandslaget, 1935, Williston, [North Dakota] (New)
- Meraker [Meråker] få Trønder Stevne, 1924. Madison, Minnesota
- Nordhordlandslaget, 1927. Arlington, South Dakota
- Nordlandslaget, 1916. Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Sigdalslaget 1913, Wilmar, Minnesota. Copy #1
- Sigdalslaget 1913, Wilmar, Minnesota. Copy #2
- Sigdalslaget 1923, Fergus Falls, Minnesota. Copy #1
- Sigdalslaget 1923, Fergus Falls, Minnesota. Copy #2
- Sigdalslaget 1926[?], Grand Forks, North Dakota
- Sigdalslaget 1927, [Albert Lea, Minnesota.] Copy #1
- Sigdalslaget 1927, [Albert Lea, Minnesota.] Copy #2
- Sigdalslaget 1935, Fergus Falls, Minnesota
- Sognalaget and Vossalaget Picnic, 1927.
- Stavanger, 1913, Canton, South Dakota
- Stavangerlaget Møde, 1914, Sandnes, [Norway] (New)
- Stavanger Laget, [1914?], location unspecified [Norway] (New)
- Stavanger, 1915, Wilmar, Minnesota
- Stavanger [Time?], 1915, Wilmar, Minnesota
- Stavanger, ca. 1919, Canton, South Dakota
- Stavanger Amt Laget, 1923, Grand Forks, North Dakota (New)
- Stavanger, 1928, Madison, Minnesota
- Stavanger Amt Laget, 1939, Brookings, South Dakota (New)
- Trønder Stevne, 1924, Madison, Minnesota
- Trønder Lag - Stevne, 1941, Fergus Falls, Minnesota (New)
- TrønderLaget, 1921. Grand Forks, North Dakota
- TrønderLaget, 1921. Grand Forks, North Dakota
- Unidenified group, date and location not specified.
- Unidentifed group, not dated. [Canton, South Dakota]
- Vosselaget, 1920, Madison, Wisconson.
Other groups also formed to preserve and strengthen the cultural ties with Norway. These included singing socities. glee clubs and male choruses such as the Norwegian Singers Association of America. Large prints and panorama photographs show the members of the groups at their meetings.
- Luther Seminary Men's Chorus (undated)
- Norwegian Glee Club - Charter Members, 1912
- Norwegian Glee Club, 1913
- Norwegian Glee Club, Minneapolis, ca. 1914
- Norwegian Glee Club, Minneapolis, 1916
- Norwegian Glee Club Orchestra, 1925
- Norsk Klub, Chicago, Illinois, 1961
- Sangerfest, 1922, Sioux City, Iowa
- Sangerfest, 1924, St Paul, Minnesota
- Sangerfest, 1926, Chicago, Illinois
- Sangerfest, 1928, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
- Sangerfest, 1950, Chicago, Illinois
- Sangerfest, 1942, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Sangerfest, 1946, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Sangerfest, 1962, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Sangerfest, 1964, New York City, New York
Panorama and composite images of Norwegian Lutheran Pastors & Professors: Prints and posters with many small images of the clergy
and educators in the early Norwegian Lutheran synods.
Here are some other miscellaneous events and gatherings.
- Aaker Family [Centennial] Reunion, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Installation at Albian Church, 1924. Albian, Minnesota
- Ebenezer Home personnel, 1933. Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Norse-American Centennial, 1925. Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Den Norsk Storfest, 1930, Minneapolis, Minnesota (New)
- Norwegian American Lines Party, 1914, Washington, DC (New)
- Stavanger Harbor, [1914?] Stavanger, Norway (New)
- Red Wing Seminary, 1931, Red Wing, Minnesota (New)
- St Paul's Lutheran dedication, 1922. Brule Twp, South Dakota
- Waldorf Lutheran College Commencement, 1920. Forest City, Iowa
Return to previous page.